At John Dooley PGA, we have the full iron golf club fitting cart from Mizuno Golf.
You can book a Mizuno Iron club fitting time by contact us at email@example.com or call 0879277997 to book a time and date that suits you.
Mizuno Club fitting session are available Monday to Sunday during daylight hours. Each club fitting session should take approximately 30 minutes to fully identify what shaft and which club-head is the right golf club for your golf swing.
Plus you can buy the whole range of Mizuno golf clubs directly from John Dooley PGA.
Mizuno Golf Iron Fitting Cart and Custom Fit Mizuno Irons.
Mizuno Golf Fittings | Golf Lessons Cork | | Golf Swing Tips
Chipping can sometimes be as confusing as playing golf on ice! Recently I have worked with a few people on their chipping technique. In these cases one of the two hands were too dominant during their chipping action. We use the following drills to add balance/feel/touch to their chipping technique.
Main action to develop: Lead with the left arm though the shot and then release the club correctly through the shot.
During the chipping action sometimes the bottom hand on the golf club can cause an early release or we might better describe this action as flicking or too much right hand. This action may also feel that there is a scooping or lifting action at impact.
The set-up in summary:
You can play around with your ball position, front middle and back of you stance. What you will notice is the difference in flight and the first bounce of the ball.
Balance your body weight 50/50 from your toes to your heals and place approximately 55% of your weight on your left side (for right handed golfers). Place the club shaft forward so your left arm (right handed golfers) and shaft make a continuous line. The objective is to swing the club and try to maintain this line through the impact and then release the club…
Golf lessons in Cork
The drills: Left and right hand pitching drills or also known as the top and bottom hand drills.
The top and bottom hand drills are a great way to feel how your arms and hands should feel through the impact/follow-through positions during your chipping action. The drills may feel a bit strange at first, but after a number of practice shots you will get used to it. One key is to stay relaxed and keep the swinging tempo nice, easy and gently accelerating though the shot.
Top hand on the club drill (left hand for right handed golfers and visa versa for left handed golfers)
- The key feelings to notice here are a relaxed arm swing, allowing the weight of the club to continue swinging through the grass.
- Swinging the club to the ball without an early release or flicking action
- Allow or help your body/chest/hips to rotate more through the swing.
- This sounds a lot more complicated that it is.
- To feel this action, practice the pitching swing in a mirror and watch how your body & club moves through the shot.
- The best club to practice with is your favourite club you use for chipping.
- One terrible way to practice is hitting ball after ball in the same place. I strongly recommend changing your intended target after every couple of shots.
- Place 5 balls in a line starting from 3 yards, 6, 9, 12, up to 15 yards from the chipping green.
- The goal here is to chip the balls close or hole-out with a solid/centred strike.
- Hold the club with your left hand and place your right hand behind your back. Make a couple of practice swings letting the club swing though the grass each time. (for right hand golfers)
- Place and aim the club behind the first ball and again just repeat the same swinging action
- Feel the club head swinging though the grass and striking the ball in one motion
- Move to the next ball, change the angle off the club face, you can choose to make the club face move or less lofted and again repeat the process. You may have to make longer swings depending on the distance and loft created on the club face
- Continue this approach for all 5 shots. Repeat the drill with different the opposite hand with different balls positions as I have mentioned in the set up to improve feel/touch/distance control.
- Another goal is to feel relaxed and let the club swing through.
Golf lessons in Cork
Bottom hand drill (Right hand for right handed golfers and visa versa for left handed golfers)
Just really repeat the above steps and you may need to turn your chest and hips more through the shot to ensure better contact.
If you need a golf lesson in Cork please contact John Dooley at 0879277997 to arrange your next golf chipping lesson. Golf lessons in Cork with John Dooley PGA. www.johndooleypga.ie. Left and right hand chipping drills.